I am not getting it. This presidential primary season has really gone off the tracks. I am not promoting any particular party, but am promoting that we step back, look at the issues, the candidates and their vision.
When Donald J. Trump got into the presidential race, the pundits thought this would not last long. (I did too.) Over and over, it was believed that the outrageous things he has said would sink his campaign.
What outrageous things? Here are just a few:
- “When Mexico sends it people, they’re not sending their best. … They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”
- He claimed that Senator John McCain was not a war hero because he was captured.
- He’s going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it.
- He said that he saw thousands and thousands of people cheering when the Twin Towers were coming down.
- He wants to ban Muslims from entering the United States.
- Deporting 11 million illegal immigrants.
- That he could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and he wouldn’t lose voters.
To me, the last statement to me was the most outrageous because he believes that, and the way it’s going it is probably true!
What’s going on? It cannot just be that people are angry. It cannot just be that people like him because he speaks his mind, and is not politically correct.
I think people are so enamored with his celebrity that it’s as if they are bewitched. How else could one toss all reasoning out the window? Why would people accept that because he said it, they believe it without question? Shouldn’t people probe deeper? Shouldn’t he be required to outline how he would go about deporting 11 million people? Shouldn’t they ask how would he get Mexico to pay for the wall? Ironically, just today in an interview with Jorge Ramos on Fusion, Vicente Fox, former Mexican President, responds he’s not paying for the wall, that Mr. Trump should pay for the wall because he has the money.
There is a lot to be said about this election season, but what do you think? Do you think it’s his celebrity?